Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Highlight(s)

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, and I have a lot that I could say.

Teach for America
I guess I should start with saying that I'm excited to announce that I've been offered a position with Teach for America. I've been assigned to teach secondary general science. There are some flags that come up though. First off, I have to move to South Carolina! I've never been out there before and the racial tension between black and white is not something I want to deal with. I have to leave City Year early (sometime before June 5th) to fly to South Carolina before I go to Texas for training. The problem with that is I have not yet been told when I have to fly out there. This poses a huge problem because I have to fund my own travel to South Carolina, to Houston, and then back to South Carolina. The next thing is I have to take tests before I can start teaching. I'm confident in my ability to pass one of the tests. For the other ones, I'm not even sure which ones they are that I have to take. It's hard to study when you don't know what you are supposed to study. But I have until June to become expert enough with science material to pass those tests. So I just bought books and I've started studying Biology. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll move on to Chemistry, and hopefully I'll have enough time to get Physics in there.

Loss
Before I even had my TFA interview I had to get my transcripts from my community college. So in a 24 hour period I drove up to San Jose and back to Los Angeles by myself. In those 24 hours I also didn't give enough (or actually any) attention to someone I valued having in my life outside of my family. She didn't like that too much. My problem is that whenever I get focused on something I put my all into it. Nevertheless, I lost a good friend of 5 years because my lack of recognition and appreciation. Sometimes I wonder if I do this to close friends, will I ever be ready to fully commit to someone and have the opportunity to achieve a family?

Lakers
Ok, I see they are doing their thing. I have been silenced because I predicted they would end up a #3 seed in the Western Conference. I hope they make it to the finals for the simple facts that I'm from the West Coast and I hate San Antonio. I need for them and the Bulls to make it to the NBA Championship.

Lasers
I am thankful for Lupe Fiasco's album. This generation of music is dead to me except for a few artists. I appreciate Lupe for not being afraid to speak his mind on a lot of things we all know but don't have the opportunity or the courage to voice ourselves. I can't say I have a favorite track off this album but I will highlight "Break The Chain," "Beautiful Lasers," "I Don't Wanna Care," and "State Run Radio." But for the most part I like all of the songs.

Shootings
A few weeks ago was the first time I ever was scared to hear gun shots. It might have been because it was right outside of my window, a helicopter was flying overhead for the next hour or so, it was in a gang neighborhood where anybody that is not Latino should not be outside at night, and they caught one of the shooters right in front of my house.


Gas Prices 
There has to be a better solution than this. Boycotting gas on one day is a stupid idea.

Ignorant College Graduates
I can't stand people that graduate college and remain ignorant and ghetto. I know you want to hold on to your roots, but at the same time, the only people that are going to "respect" you are the ones that you are being ghetto and ignorant with. Those aren't things that can be turned on and off easily. When you're dealing with important people you can only be fake when you are in your most calm state. In the future I hope your job doesn't push you outside of your comfort zone.

It has been a rough couple of weeks. But if it wasn't then I wouldn't be living up to the name of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment